Beyond Margins Episode 1 | Being Black In America, Interracial Dating, Self Worth and Ownership


I've been living in New Zealand for six years now and I've noticed that beyond the big two minority groups, we don't really hear too much about people outside of those at all. I was curious to find out about the growing immigrant population in New Zealand. Their experiences, their hobbies, their lives.

Beyond Margins is a series I've been wanting to create for a long time. It looks at unpacking the experiences of people of colour in New Zealand. We talk to POC from all walks of life and from all sorts of places about their experience navigating the world, and New Zealand, as a person of colour.

You know those chance encounters that turn into meaningful experiences? Well, meeting our first interviewee was just like that. This month we talked to Antoine Knight, saxophonist, composer and performer from Atlanta.

Try to ignore the terrible sound, we were battling all sorts of noises.




I'd like to thank Sonia dearly for helping me shoot this, and for always pushing me to be the best I can be. I couldn't have done it without her help.